Equally delicious served chilled or hot, this warming dram created by Dusty Grable, director of beverage at Merriman’s in Honolulu, Hawaii pairs sweet winter persimmons, bourbon, and a bounty of spices.
- 24 oz. Eagle Rare 10 year old (or other Kentucky straight bourbon)
- 8 oz. Nonino amaro
- 8 oz. persimmon vanilla brown simple syrup (recipe below)
- 16 oz. dry pear cider (such as Samuel Smith’s Organic Perry)
- Garnish: Clove-studded persimmons, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and cinnamon
Combine all ingredients in a punch bowl. Stir. Add large ice cubes and clove-studded persimmons. Serve in punch glasses garnished with cloves, cinnamon sticks (optional), and a dusting of cinnamon. Serves 18. (To serve warm: after combining all ingredients, transfer to a pot and warm over low heat, stirring occasionally.)
Persimmon Vanilla Brown Simple Syrup
- 12 persimmons, peeled and diced
- 8 oz. water
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 5 cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, splitting the vanilla bean and scraping in the seeds as well. Cook over medium-low heat to melt sugar. Once melted, remove from heat and steep for 15 minutes. Remove cinnamon and cloves and transfer syrup to a blender. Blend until smooth. Store in an airtight glass container in refrigerator for up to a week.