Created by Hemant Pathak, mixologist and bar manager of Junoon in New York City, this drink mixes multiple liquors to optimal effect.
“The intense spice notes from the straight rye pair well with the slightly peaty scotch, and the amaro helps to soften the whole flavor, extending the length of the cocktail with herbal notes,” Pathak says. An expressed orange peel brightens and balances it all out.
- Highland Park 12 year old single malt scotch (to rinse)
- ¾ oz. Kentucky straight rye, such as Michter’s
- ¾ oz. blended scotch, such as Dewar’s 12 year old
- ¾ oz. Martini & Rossi Riserva Speciale amaro
- ¼ oz. Punt e Mes vermouth
- Garnish: orange peel
Rinse a coupe glass with Highland Park. Stir all remaining ingredients with ice in a mixing glass, then strain into coupe glass. Express an orange peel over the drink, then drop it into the glass.