Though bourbon often has peanut notes, fat-washing with hazelnut butter unlocks new dimensions of flavor. This cocktail, and its custom fat-washed bourbon, were created by Valentino Longo of La Sirenuse at Four Seasons Miami. Learn more about fat-washing with our beginner’s guide.
- 1½ oz. Chocolate Hazelnut Butter-Washed bourbon (recipe below)
- ½ oz. Pedro Ximénez sherry
- ¼ oz. Bonollo OF amaro or Lucano amaro
- ½ oz. demerara syrup (2:1)
- 3 dashes chocolate bitters
- Garnish: Orange twist
Combine ingredients in a mixing glass, add ice, then stir. Once chilled and diluted, strain into a double rocks glass over a large cube and garnish with an orange twist.
To Make Chocolate Hazelnut Butter-Washed Bourbon
- 1 liter Bulleit bourbon
- 7 oz. Justin’s Organic Chocolate Hazelnut & Almond Butter
Melt the nut butter in a saucepan over low heat, then add bourbon. Heat the mix gently for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and rest for an hour. Transfer to a sealable container and put in the freezer to let the fat solidify overnight.
After one night, strain the liquid through a coffee filter, then put it in a fresh container and refrigerate for up to 1 month.