“Oloroso sherry highlights the nuttiness of the American single malt while the crème de banane builds upon the sweet baking spice notes contributed from the barrel,” says Leanne Favre, head bartender at Leyenda in Brooklyn, New York and the creator of The Gilded Ape. “A topping of champagne elongates the flavors and contributes a beautiful effervescence, allowing each layer of flavor to shine.”
- ¼ oz. Talisker 10 year old (or peated Islay scotch)
- 1 oz. Westward American single malt (or an unpeated Highland scotch or Japanese whisky)
- ¾ oz. Giffard crème de banane
- ½ oz. Lustau oloroso sherry
- ½ oz. lemon juice
- ½ oz. rich demerara syrup (recipe below)
- 3 oz. brut champagne
- Lemon twist for garnish
Rinse a stemmed red wine glass with Talisker. Add all other ingredients, except champagne, to a shaker, add ice, and shake. Pour into the rinsed glass and top with champagne. Garnish with lemon twist.
Rich Demerara Syrup
- 1 cup demerara sugar
- ½ cup water
Combine sugar and water in a saucepan. Place over medium heat and whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved. Let syrup cool and transfer into a bottle. Store refrigerated for up to six weeks.